Cold and Flu Tips
It seems like cold and flu season is already among us and I’ve seen reports of a respiratory virus spreading quickly among children in the U.S. There are many things we can do to help keep the immune system strong during a time when so many get sick.
Here are the top 5 things our family does to stay as healthy as possible during cold and flu season:
- Drink Bone Broth (aka chicken stock) – Homemade chicken stock contains a wealth of nutrients, helps strengthen the immune system and is also known for its antiviral properties. We drink a cup or two each day along with some Celtic sea salt (the unrefined salt contains extra minerals). If you prefer not to drink it from a cup, make a big pot of soup and serve some alongside meals or send some to school with the kids in an insulated thermos. Calcifood Wafers are a chewable supplement that can work well in place of drinking the broth.
- Reduce Sugar Intake – Sugar can cause inflammation and also weaken the immune system. Keep the desserts at a minimum. Choose whole fruits over sugar-laden sweets.
- Eat Probiotics Every Day – Over 85% of the immune system is in the gut, so it’s important to keep digestion healthy. One way to do this is by consuming probiotic-rich foods. These foods include: traditionally prepared sauerkraut, cultured yogurt, kombucha, and fermented vegetables. You can also purchase probiotics to take, along with a good diet. My favorite one is Prosynbiotic or Lact Enz.
- Eat Healthy Fats – Unprocessed, saturated fats are essential for energy, hormone production, a healthy immune system, and many other important functions. These fats include: organic butter (butter can help strengthen the immune system, suppresses inflammation, and is a great source of iodine), coconut oil (contains antiviral and antimicrobial properties which are great for keeping the immune system strong),ghee, grass-fed lard or tallow, palm oil (I purchase from companies that buy from sustainable farms), and duck fat.
- Get Adjusted, and Stay Regular – Remember! The center of the immune system starts in the brain and spinal cord, so you need to keep it as healthy as possible to keep your immune system strong. Regular chiropractic care can help maintain the immune response, as well as help you fight off infection or sickness in the making.